16 July 2007

Canada Part 1...

In case you didn't know, I'm out enjoying a 3-week trip in Canada. Travelling from Calgary to Vancouver going through the Rocky Mountains is the plan, and so far has proved a success. The Rockies are such a different landscape compared to the Netherlands. Obviously, we're above sea-level here, and there are lots of mountains etc. but the vastness and ruggedness of the area is scary sometimes. Kilometers followed by kilometers of forest and mountains. Unbelievable, and nothing that I've seen before. Deer walking in front of your hotel window, bear sightings on the golf course, it just doesn't stop. The best mountainbiking I've experienced in a long time over tiny trails up and, more enjoyable, down the mountain. Plus going for a swim in a bright blue lake where there's no one to be seen or heard for miles is a refreshing experience (in more ways then just the swim). The lakes in the Canadian mountains are such a bright blue, and completely clear. The science behind this phenomenon is that minerals from the glacier melting water in the lakes absorb all the colour out of the sunlight except for blue, so the blue colour is the reflected. It left me to enjoy the beautiful cool water in the 30 degree heat (yes, it's been 30+ degrees every day this week), and be able to see my shadow on the bottom of a 6 metre deep lake.

There is one negative to this story, the mosquitos... No further explanation needed... And I'm falling behind in my training...

Enjoy a selection of my pictures...



No comments: