26 February 2007

Why am I running?

Since I'm not earning any money whatsoever from running I must have some ulterior motive. My motives for setting the goals of running two marathons this year are three-fold. Firstly, I want to achieve something that I've chosen to do without anyone coming to me with the idea or nudging me towards that goal. No one would think up this idea because it's quite stupid. Secondly, the goal of running two marathons this year is replacing the goals that I wanted to achieve in a relationship that didn't reach its potential. In short, it's a way to clear my mind and try and process my thoughts about what I want to do with my life after finishing university this year, what went wrong in the relationship and why, and what I can do to avoid losing a good thing in the future. This Blog is also part of that process. Thirdly, training to run two marathons is good for my body and fitness, although I'm under no illusions that I will become more attractive due to the running. All these aims point to me wanting to learn about and improve myself, bring some form of discipline in my life, and struggle through some ideas...

The question remains: Why run when there are so many bikes in Holland?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hey Bram!
Hurray, you have your first Belgian visitor on you blog! ;-) Nice to hear (or better read) from you! I'm suprised to here you changed your favorite sport! What about golf?!? Now that I made my first golf experience, you don't like it anymore... :-( But I admire your motivation and wish you all the luck you need for succeeding!!! And to be honest, I prefer jogging, as well! ;-)

Nicole

PS: Like your jumper! ;-)

Heike said...

I think running is great!!! It frees your mind. I should be running too because I finished university last week and I really do not know what to do...anyway...
about the marathon in Berlin:
I will cook pasta for you the day before your marathon. We could also go to one of these marathon-pasta-parties?! And I'll be there cheering for you!!!