28 February 2007

Communication

Communication between people is a funny thing. We have a million different ways to communicate with each other but that doesn't always make it any easier. From letters, e-mail, mobiles, texting, msn messaging, skype, to sign language and body language, I still feel a simple call is the most difficult thing. When do you call? Am I disturbing a person if I want to call? How do you start a conversation? What do you talk about after you said what you needed to say? Maybe more importantly, what don't you talk about? And how can it be as (or more) difficult to not call someone as it is to call a person? And why does the thing I really want to say always pop into my head 10 minutes after the conversation has finished? Especially this last fact makes me feel like such a fool.

These questions run around my mind even when I'm making simple calls, although I am pretty good at ordering pizza without experiencing these nagging questions. God help me if I have to call someone I actually like. Adding to this, have you ever thought about what your voice sounds like over the phone? When I'm home and answer the phone I get repeatedly mistaken for my father. So I decided to tape my voice over the phone by leaving a message on my own voicemail through a pay-phone. Yes, I do have way too much time on my hands. The results were quite a shock, I sound like the most boring person to have graced this planet in a long time. Now I'm quite sure that this is not true. By going through some simple logic...my father is not boring, I sound like my father on the phone, therefore I am not boring, simple "kromme logica", I can come to the conclusion that I am not boring.

Although the idea of me not being boring has strengthened my resolve when calling, communication is still a difficult thing. Give me face-to-face talks any day. At least then they're too distracted by my ugly shoes or jumper to notice my lack of communication skills.

No comments: