21 May 2007

Half Marathons and Gorilla Attacks...

What a past couple of days its been. First of all, the half marathon last Thursday went exceedingly well. Unfortunately, the time-keeping geniuses in Groningen have screwed up and not been able to post the official results. Going on a clock about 500 metres from the finish which said that it was 8:20 pm and us starting around 6:30 I think I finisheed in just under 2 hours, which is definitely an achievement I wasn't expecting. But the best part is that I ran throughout the 21 kms which is much more important for me. It means that my fitness is at a level that it is possible to run a marathon semi-comfortably and my body can take the continuous pounding that you receive when running. Ofcourse, there is no such thing as pain free running, and there are few pains in places that I dare not share with the world, but the running world will know what and where I mean. One prblem, my motivation to train is at an all time low, there are no races planned till August and that is a long way away...

"Having a Bokito", that's the new catchphrase for having an anger management problem in Holland after a silverback gorilla in Diergaarde Blijdorp (zoo in Rotterdam) had had enough of people taunting and making fun of him and jumped over a 4 meter moat and taught them a lesson. He was tranquilised and he's behind bars now. Its our fault that Bokito is not afraid of humans, he was raised by keepers in Berlin Zoo and fed pizza by hand...not the most natural way to grow up. But Bokito is not the one to blame, its the stupid people that go and visit the zoo on a daily/weekly basis trying to "connect" with the animals by staring at them and banging on the glass. Funnily enough a gorilla attack is the most exciting news we've had in Holland over the past couple of weeks. These things happen...

So what have I learned over the past couple of days:
I've reached a state of fitness that I can run a marathon...
Don't taunt animals at zoos...

Following from that a word of warning to all you goldfish owners. DON'T TAP THE GLASS... The fish might just jump out of his bowl and maul you...

Have a good one...

No comments: