15 May 2007

Memories...can they be relived...

Sydney Church of England Co-Educational Grammar School Redlands...

That, my friends, is the full name of the high school I attended and finished in Australia over the period 1997 to 2000 that I lived in Sydney. Why does this subject come up? Because over a dinner conversation during mother's day the subject of the countries we lived in came up and eventually the conversation got stuck on school life in Sydney. First of all, of the three countries I've lived in, other than Holland, Australia was by far the best place, and SCECGS was by far the most fun I had at a foreign school. It was definitely the people that did it for me at SCECGS. The sports that were offered there were good as well. Since I'm 2 meters tall, and my brother is only a few centimeters shorter, the introduction day at SCECGS ended with the coordinators of cricket, rowing, rugby, and basketball coming to us and trying to sell their respective sports to us. I found out that training for rowing was in the mornings at 5 or 6 so that sales pitch fell on deaf ears with me. I didn't quite fancy the prospect of standing in a field for up to 8 hours waiting for a rock hard ball to come towards me at 110 km/h so cricket was a no go as well. Rugby was considered as an option but my mum was having none of it. Alas, no rugby glory for me. I ended up playing basketball, football (soccer), and hockey and had a blast.

The sports were not the only thing that made Sydney the place to be for me. The people were fantastic. Social, kind, fun to be with, great parties, the guys made the uniforms somehow look cool, and the girls made the uniforms looks good (and that was not an easy task). In short, they were just beautiful people.

The best thing is that I still have a record standing at SCECGS. I have the record of the most places dropped in the scholastic table of students. I dropped from around the 12th place in the class to the 120th place. Never had so much fun at a school as I had in that year...

So if anyone from SCECGS class of 1999 is reading, greetings to you and send a mail, would love to hear from you...

Have a good one...

No comments: