11 March 2007

An interesting and disturbing couple of days...

Its Sunday again, which means for most of you that the working week is set to begin again tomorrow. For me it will be just another day sitting behind the computer and academic articles researching my thesis. Life is good... The weekend has been good, I had a beer with friends in the inhabited area of Holland, the western part, and it was good to catch up with them. Its good to be able to talk about absolutely nothing once in a while, and enjoy it, which makes life so much easier to cope with. For example, a couple of my friends have a passion for motorbikes. Their girlfriends disapprove of course, and we came to the unanimous conclusion that women/girlfriends are not really that interested in the hobbies of men. This point is further illustrated when I say that I have never been able to turn a girl on by telling them all about how fantastic my 58 degree lob wedge is the more it rusts, because then I get more grip on the golf ball and more spin. And I doubt that any girlfriend will find it cool if their boyfriend is out of bed and gone at 9 on Sunday morning, which mean no breakfast in bed, and gone for most of the day. I have definitely chosen the wrong hobby, its a shame I enjoy it so much.

The disturbing part of the last weekend was actually just before the weekend. I saw a documentary on TV called "beperkt houdbaar" (translated: limited shelf-life), and was about the plastic surgery industry in America and how magazines and fashion models influence our self image. What shocked me was that a plastic surgeon basically sat down, looked at a woman as a piece of meat which doesn't conform to a certain image, and tells her that her body looks like crap and has to be completely rebuilt. The women are not seen as patients, but candidates for surgery. But hold on, the most shocking is still to come. At the moment there is a huge trend in plastic surgery called labia corrections. Basically, the vagina is operated on so that they look like so-called Playboy vagina's. Incomprehensible that this is done. I can understand that in some cases this type of surgery may be medically necessary, but to have this type of surgery because you want to look like a photo-shopped model that appeared in the Playboy is unbelievable. Its an ultimate form of putting aesthetics over function, because some feeling is lost if parts of the vagina are removed. Crazy, nuts, unbelievable, and shamefull that men try to convince women to get that type of surgery. How hypocritical is it to be outraged by female circumcision in the Islam culture, but then let your daughters go and get a labia correction in the name of aesthetics? Just so that you don't understand me wrongly, I feel that female circumcision and these labia correction should be banned outright, outside of purely medical reasons. But its been a long time since I've been shocked in such a way and I sat in front of the TV with my mouth open in horror. Unbelievable...

Nothing more to add for the moment, just want to get across that we should be aware what kind of effect magazine covers, models, actors, movies, etc. have on our self-image and confidence for both women and men. Hell, I get horribly insecure about how I look and my self-confidence picks up a huge dent when I pick up a copy of Men's Health, GQ, or other men's magazines. I know I'll never have the six-pack, massive arms, and make women drool when I walk down the street, but there's nothing wrong with that. Is there????

No comments: